What can a drug rehab do for you? Making the decision to get into treatment is one that will change your life immediately. That means you’ll need to step away from your family for some time and put off work for a bit. It also means you’ll be spending time working on yourself, creating a path towards sobriety and wellness. A drug rehab center has much to offer today, but it takes a big commitment. Seeing the value it can offer may show you just how worthwhile treatment may be.
Do You Need a Drug Rehab Center?
It’s not always easy to see that drug treatment is necessary. Some people believe they can stop using whenever they want. Others are unsure there’s anything wrong with continuing on the same path. Yet, there are a few clear signs that a drug rehab center program in Portland may be essential.
- Health changes: Drugs damage many organs in the body, create inflammation, and carry a risk of brain damage. The longer a person uses, the more likely they are to develop heart disease, kidney and liver failure, and cognition problems.
- Responsibilities become impossible to fulfill: Some people can function by going to work and meeting basic obligations. Yet, responsibilities at home, work, and school start to become harder and harder to meet. This is hard to see unless you think about what family and coworkers are saying.
- Drugs are the focus. Using is necessary for some people. It becomes the focus of the day. When will they get another dose? How much more can they take? It’s not something a person with dependence can control, but it becomes one of the most important parts of the day.
- Trying to stop leads to failure: When a person with addiction and dependence tries to stop using, they fail to do so because of their brain’s changes. This means that when they stop, they feel intense withdrawal symptoms and cravings, which often lead to relapse.
- Relationships are struggling: It is very common for people with addiction to struggle to maintain relationships. That’s a clear sign that your brain is wired to seek out substances at all costs, even disappointing people that matter to you.
In each one of these situations, treatment can help. It can give you information, resources, and tools to use to help stop the addictive behavior but also to repair the damage created. When you are ready to stop feeling overwhelmed and hurt, a Portland drug rehab center can provide the tools and resources to help you resolve the underlying cause of the addiction.
Taking that First Step Is the Hardest
A drug rehab center can seem like a frightening experience, one that puts you far away from the people who are supporting you now. Yet, that’s one of the clear goals and benefits of this type of therapy. It allows you to focus on yourself and your health, minimizing the risks of relapse. Some of the therapies that may help include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Holistic therapy programs
- Individual therapy program
- Family therapy programs
Each one of these programs teaches something different, creating numerous ways for you to overcome the addiction for good. Consider what may happen when this occurs. You’ll be able to make better decisions. You can engage more with family and friends, often getting back into the things you loved to do. Your body can start the healing process.
The first step is to call a treatment center to inquire about your options. When you do, recognize that taking this step now can open the door for new opportunities in the years to come.